The St. Croix River and northern Minnesota’s Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness are two of the most scenic natural places in the Upper Midwest. Art inspired by their beauty is the subject of a show this summer in Stillwater.
“Northern Solitudes” will open June 8 at ArtReach St. Croix, featuring oil paintings by Mary Jo Van Dell and photography by John Kaul. Kaul primarily shoots photos in the St. Croix River watershed, while Van Dell’s focus is on the Boundary Waters.
The video below features their art, as well as the artists and others involved with the show (including yours truly).
The show is co-sponsored by St. Croix 360 and the Friends of the Boundary Waters Wilderness. The opening reception on Friday, June 8 is free and open to the public, and the show will run through July 14 at the nonprofit’s gallery across the street from the Stillwater Library.
- Who: Mary Jo Van Dell, John Kaul, ArtReach St. Croix, St. Croix 360, Friends of the Boundary Waters Wilderness
- What: “Northern Solitudes” art show
- Where: ArtReach St. Croix, 224 North 4th St., Stillwater
- When: Opening Reception Friday, June 8, 6 – 8 p.m., artist’s open house: Saturday, June 9, noon – 4 p.m., show runs until July 14
- R.S.V.P. and share on Facebook