This summer vacation, teachers can get inspired to include St. Croix River and watershed education in classroom curriculum at one of three workshops in July and August.
The day-long workshops hosted by the St. Croix River Association will get teachers on the river, enjoy activities, and get help with curriculum. St. Croix 360 is proud to be participating, running our St. Croix River Haiku Challenge at each event. This activity will help integrate language arts and creative writing into St. Croix River lessons.
The workshops will be held July 19 and July 26 at Minnesota Interstate Park, and August 2 at Kinnickinnic State Park. They are free, though participants will need to have a state park sticker ($7 per day/$35 per year) for the Minnesota events.
The workshops will give participants opportunities to paddle the river with other teachers and have a fun day on the water, discover the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway and all the exciting environmental education opportunities, learn more about this National Park and the 50th Anniversary of the Riverway, find out about 2018-19 Riverway classroom and field trip opportunities, receive access to pre and post activities to complement your classroom or field trip program, and experience student activities.
The full list of field trip activities that teachers will be able to sample include:
- St. Croix Haiku with Greg Seitz from St. Croix 360 (all)
- What is a Watershed? with SCRA education staff (all)
- Mucking with NPS Park Ranger (Interstate)
- Naturalist Activity Bins with WI Interstate Park Naturalist (Interstate)
- Riverway Wildlife with Wild River State Park Naturalist (Interstate)
- Macroinvertebrates with a National Park Service Park Ranger (Kinnickinnic)
- Groundwater Model with St. Croix County environmental education staff (Kinnickinnic)
- Water Study with Friends of Willow River & Kinni State Park (Kinnickinnic)
Workshop partners include the St. Croix River Association, Friends of the Willow River & Kinnickinnic State Park, National Park Service, St. Croix 360, St. Croix County, Minnesota DNR State Parks, and Wisconsin DNR State Parks.
More information and registration is available at the following links: