Via the St. Croix River Association:
This year’s SCRA Fall Gathering will be held in collaboration with the Crex Meadows Fall Wildlife Festival on October 4. Join us for a day of beautiful fall colors, fun educational activities, and an opportunity to see an amazing piece of Wisconsin natural history.
A part of both Wisconsin’s scenic Indianhead Country and the St. Croix River Basin, the Crex Meadows Wildlife Area is located just north of Grantsburg. At 30,000 acres, Crex is one of the largest state-owned wildlife areas in Wisconsin, and is home to 270 species of birds and 750 species of plants. A wide variety of mammals, reptiles, amphibians and insects also reside there.
Managed as Northern Wisconsin Pine Barrens, it is now the state’s largest remaining portion of this globally endangered ecosystem. The rare sedge marsh and brush prairie habitats make the area a paradise for wildlife which, in turn, makes Crex also a paradise for bird watchers, naturalists, botanists, hunters, and all other hearty explorers who are interested in the great bounty nature has to offer.
The sandhill cranes should be migrating through by the thousands, and Crex is offering a tour for the SCRA gathering!
Fall Wildlife Fest at Crex Recommended Activities
- 10:30 – 11:00 AM – Jordan Buck Reenactment (classroom)
- 11:00 – 12:00 PM – EcoBirder Butterfly Program
- 11:00 – 1:00 PM – lunch available at the Mess Hall Fundraiser Cookout
- For the complete Crex Fall Wildlife Fest calendar listing, visit the Crex website at crexmeadows.org/events
SCRA Fall Gathering Activities
- 12:00 – 1:00 PM – SCRA Pre-Registered Bus Tour
- 1:30 – 2:00 PM – SCRA Gathering Begins in the Auditorium
- Welcome and Volunteer Appreciation
- 2014 SCRA Photo Contest Winners Announced
- 2:00 – 2:30 PM – SCRA Member Moment
- 2:30 – 3:30 PM – Guided Nature Hike
- SCRA Members: $20/adult – includes lunch and bus tour
- Non-Members: $25/adult – includes lunch and bus tour
- Children 12 years and under: free with adult registration
Proceeds to benefit SCRA and Friends of Crex.
Please register here by September 30, 2014.