Via The Phipps Center for the Arts:
The St. Croix National Scenic Riverway celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2018. This treasured national park, which includes the St. Croix and Namekagon Rivers, was born in 1968 with the passage of the Wild & Scenic Rivers Act. The Riverway, with its clean water, wooded bluffs, abundant wildlife, and unique rock formations, was one of the original eight Wild & Scenic Rivers, and the only one to be named a national park.
The St. Croix and Namekagon rivers are something to celebrate. The Riverway provides rich recreational opportunities – camping, paddling, fishing, boating, birdwatching, hiking – amid breathtaking scenic vistas. The rivers flow through the lives of local people and visitors alike, providing an escape from modern civilization.
Artists nationwide are encouraged to submit work for “Heart of the River” that expresses the significance of the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway in their lives, and communicates that connection through unique depictions, interpretations, impressions, memories, and hopes for the future.
The Phipps is seeking work in all media. Artists who submit digital media/video installations are required to provide their own equipment. Insurance is provided for all artwork while at The Phipps. Artwork is not insured in transit. All shipping costs are the responsibility of the artist. No reproductions will be accepted.
Submissions will be juried by members of the Visual Arts Council, which is comprised of artists, arts professionals, and art enthusiasts from the area. The Visual Arts Council reserves the right to reject entries. Sales made during the exhibition will be administered by The Phipps at a 40 percent commission. The Phipps will be responsible for collecting sales tax. Payment for artwork sold will be made within 30 days after the exhibit closes.
Need some river inspiration? National park rangers can help you plan a trip on the St. Croix and/or Namekagon rivers. The St. Croix River Visitor Center (715-483- 2274) and the Namekagon River Visitor Center (715-635- 8346) are both open daily from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Trip planning information is also available on the park website.
To submit existing artwork, email:
- Up to four (4) jpeg images: Between 1-4MB in size with the longest dimension no larger than 1200 pixels. Each jpeg should be named as follows: artist last name_image number.
- A word document with the artist’s first and last name, address, e-mail address, and phone number at the top and with the following information for each image: image number, title, date, medium, size, and brief explanation of technique or other helpful description for the jury.
Or, to submit a proposal for a new artwork to be created specifically for this exhibit, email:
- A written proposal with designs for a project including, artist’s first and last name, e-mail address, and phone number.
- Up to three (3) images of previous work (see specifications above).
Submit materials by email to: HeartoftheRiver2018@gmail.com.
- Submission Deadline: Sunday, July 1, 2018
- Notification Date: Wednesday, August 1, 2018
- Drop-Off / Set-Up Dates: Tuesday, September 11, 2018
- Pick-Up / Tear-Down Date: Monday, October 22, 2018
For more information on this exhibit, email HeartoftheRiver2018@gmail.com.