Via the St. Croix River Association:
The St. Croix River Association (SCRA) is currently seeking a River Corridor Steward to be part of its team working on behalf of the St. Croix. Our mission is to protect, restore, and celebrate the St. Croix River and its watershed. Founded in 1911, we are the oldest citizen organization in Minnesota, with offices in St. Croix Falls, WI. We are committed to taking action now so that future generations can enjoy a St. Croix River where water is clean, scenic vistas remain, and open space for habitat, sustainable farmlands, and healthy tributaries co-exist with thriving communities.
The overarching objective of this program is to protect, improve and restore natural vegetation adjacent to the St. Croix River, to protect water quality, provide wildlife habitat and retain the magnificent views from this nationally designated, wild and scenic river. The River Corridor Steward will primarily focus on helping landowners, local governments, and realtors and developers do their part to protect our nationally-designated river’s clean water, and its wild and scenic character. Extensive travel within the lower watershed is expected, and may include work in the field.
The River Corridor Steward will work with diverse partners to provide technical assistance on shoreland conservation and land protection along the St. Croix Riverway. Specifically:
- Recruit and coordinate an active community of stakeholders, including landowners, elected officials, realtors and developers to invest in and help guide protection activities.
- Develop and execute an outreach strategy for bluffland and shoreland protection for water quality that includes a host of educational materials for distribution.
- Organize and conduct training sessions and workshops for targeted audiences on land protection, shoreline integrity, wildlife habitat and water quality topics.
- Work to increase the consistency of shoreland protection policy and ordinances among communities along the Riverway.
- Stay informed of relevant actions and issues affecting the integrity of the Riverway. This may include attending and/or participating in local interest group and government meetings.
- Advocate and build strategies for the management, protection, and restoration of critical lands along the St. Croix Riverway.
- Represent SCRA at meetings, and other public events
- Manage grants and projects, and prepare grant reports.
- Leverage the unique resources of the SCRA in building relationships with strategic partners, stakeholders, businesses, schools, civic groups, and local and state decision-makers.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage complex projects with multiple stakeholders.
- Effective oral and written communication with diverse groups including local public officials and community members.
- Demonstrated writing ability, including experience in both technical and non-technical formats.
- Strong communication and outreach skills; experience leading collaborative processes; proven ability to work with diverse groups.
- Experience working with local government policy and ordinance rules and procedures.
- Knowledge of shoreline restoration and protection activities and principles.
- Experience with grant and report writing or similar skills.
- Ability to independently manage time and resources in pursuit of outcomes.
- Ability to perform accurate record-keeping and reporting practices, and proficiency in the use of GIS systems, databases, and Microsoft applications including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com or to:
St. Croix River Association
PO Box 655
St. Croix Falls, WI 54024