Via the St. Croix River Association:
Join us Wednesday, May 2nd for Water Action Day 2018! This is a day of public action and advocacy to let lawmakers know we care about our water.
This all-day event will include free breakfast and briefings in the morning, both on how to actively engage legislators and on the water issues that we face in Minnesota. Throughout the day, attendees will meet with legislators to ask them to protect our water, and the Clean Water Rally will be held in the Capitol Rotunda at 2:00 pm.
What: Water Action Day 2018
Where: Christ Lutheran Church – 105 University Ave W, St. Paul, MN 55103 and the Capitol
When: Wednesday, May 2, 2018
Register: Please sign up (free) at this link.
Schedule: (Greater MN buses arrive throughout the morning)
- Complimentary breakfast: 8:00 – 10:00 am
- Citizen lobbying 101 (repeating sessions) 8:30, 9:25, 10:20 am
- Drop-in policy briefings (multiple topics): 9:00 – Noon
- Meetings with your representatives: throughout the day*
- Complimentary lunch: 11:00 – 1:00 pm
- Troubled Waters film screening with the filmmaker: 1:00-1:45
- Youth Summit with Governor Dayton: TBD
- #ProtectOurWater Rally in the Rotunda at 2:00 pm – featuring Gov. Mark Dayton (invited), Winona LaDuke, former U.S. Senator Dave Durenberger and more!
Why: A flood of bad environmental bills are moving this session. Now is the time to #ProtectOurWater!
We need legislators to:
- Protect our drinking water:The Groundwater Protection Act is under attack at the Capitol; we need to remind our champions that nitrates are a problem that isn’t going away.
- Use sound science:We need agencies like the Public Utilities Commission and the Pollution Control Agency to keep using sound science and established public input processes. For example, recent moves to take away PUC authority over Enbridge’s Line 3 expansion are a clear, continuing threat.
- Invest in water:Minnesota needs big investments in its infrastructure via bonding, the Clean Water Fund, and programs like Forever Green.”
* Our team will schedule small group constituent meetings with each legislator (House and Senate) to occur during the day. Participation in these meetings is highly encouraged for all Water Action Day attendees.
Bus transportation: Buses are being coordinated from multiple locations across Greater Minnesota, including Houston, Austin, Duluth, Detroit Lakes and more! Please consider reserving a spot on your preferred bus route when you register.
Parking: Parking information (both free and low cost) and transit information is included in your registration confirmation email.
Donations: Donations are gladly accepted to help offset the cost of this event. You may donate online by selecting the ‘Donation Ticket’ as you register, or day-of at the registration table.
Additional Information: Organizers will distribute additional information, including schedules, transportation options, policy highlights and more, to all participants in advance of Water Action Day.