Via the St. Croix River Association:
Hard-working teachers deserve a summer break. Why not use some of that break to be a kid again and explore the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway (Riverway) with the National Park Service (NPS) and the St. Croix River Association (SCRA)?
During July and August, the NPS and SCRA are offering Teachers on the River educator workshops to immerse educators in their Rivers Are Alive K-12 environmental education program. Rivers Are Alive field trips are designed to support students’ exploration of the Riverway by providing them opportunities to discover their own personal connection to the natural, cultural and historical heritage of this park, to invoke a sense of wonder, and to inspire a greater appreciation of nature, all of which can lead to next generation of outdoor leaders and stewards.
Summer workshops, offered throughout the St. Croix River watershed, will lead educators through the pre and post activities and the classroom and field trip lesson plans that their students will experience as part of the Rivers Are Alive program.
Workshop benefits include:
- The option of receiving continuing education credits through UW Stevens Point;
- Networking with other teachers in your part of the watershed;
- Access to academic standards aligned pre and post activities, that prepare students for and help them to reflect on their Rivers Are Alive experience; and
- A day in our beautiful national park, the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway.
To learn more: email@example.com or 715-483-3300.
Teachers on the River Summer Workshops
- Tuesday, July 16 – Elementary (K-5) at the Namekagon River Visitor Center, Trego, WI*
- Thursday, July 18 – MS/HS (6-12) at the Namekagon River Visitor Center, Trego, WI*
- Tuesday, July 23 – Elementary (K-5) at Wisconsin Interstate Park, St. Croix Falls, WI*
- Thursday, July 25 – MS/HS (6-12) at Wisconsin Interstate Park, St. Croix Falls, WI*
- Tuesday, July 30 – Elementary (K-5) at Willow River State Park, Hudson, WI*
- Thursday, Aug 1 – MS/HS (6-12) at Willow River State Park, Hudson, WI*
- Tuesday, Aug 6 – All Grade Levels (K-12) at St. Croix State Park, Hinckley, MN*
- Thursday, Aug 8 – Project WET St. Croix Academy with MN DNR at Wisconsin Interstate Park ($70)
All Teachers on the River workshops are FREE, except for the workshop on August 8. For programs that take place at MN or WI state parks, you will need to purchase a day pass for parking or one of the Annual State Park passes.
The St. Croix National Scenic Riverway, a unit of the National Park System, was established by the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act in 1968. It is one of a group of eight rivers in the country which first received this recognition. For over 200 miles, the St. Croix and its tributary, the Namekagon, flow through some of the most scenic and least developed country in the Upper Midwest. https://www.nps.gov/sacn/index.htm
The St. Croix River Association works to protect, restore and celebrate the St. Croix River and its watershed. With an approach based on partnerships, the organization is working to realize a vision for the St. Croix as a place where rivers run free and clean, a diverse habitat sustains our unique and diverse flora and fauna, people have access to our National Park and the park flourishes, towns throughout the basin thrive, and people celebrate the river. More information is available at www.stcroixriverassociation.org.