Via Friends of Wild River State Park:
It’s a wonderful time of year to get outdoors and take in some fresh air. And one of the most fun, healthy, and scenic things to do in the entire state is held on the second Saturday in October: the Wild River 5K Run (and also) Walk.
It’s our third annual event and people of all ages and abilities take part: we had a record time turned in by Dan Carlson last year – 19 minutes flat, plus we had a few youngsters under 12 and seniors over 60. In addition there were a number of parents pushing their infants in strollers. Everyone can do it!
There are 4 legs to the route. Here is a brief description of what you will see and enjoy on each while on this very beautiful course:
- NORTH LEG: just after the start/finish line in the Picnic Area, this follows the Nevers Dam trail through a colorful forest. For much of the way you will be on top of the man-made dike that extends to the St. Croix where the actual dam was located.
- EAST LEG: this is an amazing section which follows right along the west bank of the St. Croix River with the pristine forest on your right. Watch for otters, deer, bald eagles and many other birds.
- SOUTH LEG: following the boat ramp, the trail opens up to the small Amik’s Pond and native prairie. Check out the many wildflowers and native grasses in the open area plus ducks and other waterfowl on the pond.
- WEST LEG: returning to the forest after a small uphill section on the boat access road, you will be on the Old Logging Trail – a remnant from Minnesota’s past logging industry. An upland woodland and wildflowers surround you until you get to the Finish Line back at the Picnic Area.
Please join us on Oct. 11 and pass along this information to others so we have our biggest 5K Run/Walk ever! And if you have any questions at all, please contact the Friends of Wild River chairperson for this event:
Brad Bjorklund, email@example.com, 651-253-3498.
Awards will be given to the top finishers, plus all those under 12 will receive a nice prize. Registration is available on the day of the race, but at a discounted price before Oct. 1. T-shirts are available race day while supplies last.
Register to run
All proceeds go to the Friends of Wild River to help support park programs. Download a registration form here.
Early registration discount – register by October 1!
Race Day: Saturday, October 11, 2014
- Registration: 7:30-8:45 at Picnic Shelter.
- Race begins at 9 a.m.
Wild River State Park
39797 Park Trail
Center City, MN 55012
(15 miles east of North Branch, 12 miles north of Taylors Falls)