St. Croix 360 is heading down the river! From Saturday, June 14 to Friday, June 20, we’ll be paddling 93 miles down the St. Croix River, from Riverside Landing near Danbury, to Somerset, with 70 new friends.
It’s all part of the St. Croix River Association’s annual paddle program, and not only will we get to watch many miles of river go by, but there will be stops along the way to learn about the river’s history, wildlife, and more, and celebrations in communities along the way, including a kick-off party at Forts Folle Avoine.
I will post photos and updates as often as possible, considering the limitations of internet service and power, as well as the desire to immerse myself in the river and the experience. Wifi and cell signal are looking even less reliable than on the Namekagon last year, so don’t worry if you don’t get a report everyday!
Sign up for email updates so you don’t miss a post. And keep an eye on this page for blog posts and Twitter updates, as well as the St. Croix River Facebook page!
- Day 5: Rainy River (6/26/2014) - Wet conditions on the flowage and peaceful paddling below the Dalles.
- Day 4: Wild River Wanderings (6/20/2014) - Getting in a groove as we travel bigger waters.
- Day 3: Singing Along (6/18/2014) - Fast water and bright skies as we traveled some of the St. Croix's most stunning miles.
- Day 2: Wonder Seeps In (6/16/2014) - River rhythms take hold, as the current carries us into the St. Croix's quiet charisma.
- Day 1: Rain then Wind then Sun (6/15/2014) - A drastic change of weather in the course of a few hours and a few river miles.
- Day 1, morning: Ready for Rain (6/15/2014) - An evening of quiet anticipation, a rainy night and a damp dawn.
- Day 0: To the fur posts (6/14/2014) - The paddle starts with a drive and a night among the ghosts of voyageurs.
- Countdown to the St. Croix (6/10/2014) - Preparations underway for another installment of the annual adventure.